You may have heard about the Maryland Electricians Act (Senate Bill 762) and the new licensing requirements for electrical work in the State. Here are some key pieces of information:
- This is a Maryland State law enacted by Legislators in 2021 and revised in 2022
- There is a grandfather period for those who do not have an apprenticeship certificate that only lasts until December 2022. Afterwards, you will have to take a State Journeyman test to obtain a license.
- There is no grandfather period for those that have a State Apprenticeship certificate (Union or Non-union) and members who have a certificate can obtain their license at any time without testing.
- Enforcement of the law is the responsibility of the county in which the project is being performed, and may begin as early as January 1, 2023.
- The JATC is going to work with apprentices to make sure they all become licensed as well.
The graphic below shows step by step instructions on how to obtain your license. Please follow the instructions and begin registering your license by clicking this link dllr.state.md.us/license/elec/
Call the hall at (410) 247-5511 with any questions.